Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
You can only fit 12-15 breakers (Counting double breakers) onto the transfer switches.

Yeah, but how much do you actually need to power in a true "emergency?"

I'm thinking:

- The furnace (20A/120V) (if you're where it's cold. Hopefully you don't have electric heat).

- A/C (30A/240V) (if you're where it's really hot. It might be easier to get a window A/C (15-20A/120V) and cool one bedroom that everyone sleeps in.).

- A well pump (20A/120V)(if you have one - water, showers and toilets).

- The fridge/freezer (20A/120V)(to keep food from spoiling).

- Electric range (40-50A/240V) and/or electric water heater (30A/240V) (Most generators won't make this much power).

- A few lights and a TV. (15A/120V)

I'd try and stretch out my fuel supply for as long as possible by feeding only what was really needed. Look at the north east after the ice storms they just had. Most of all they needed heat, to keep the house safely warm and safe from damage (freezing water pipes make a mess). The well pump so you have water and can use a toilet. If it's that cold, empty the fridge/freezer and put the stuff outside (Let Mother Nature keep it cold for free). If it's hot where you live, try and keep the fridge/freezer doors closed as much as possible and run them in cycles (run the fridge for an hour, then unplug it and run something else or turn the generator off to conserve fuel).
If your stove/range doesn't work, fire up the grill or camp stove, or if you can, go out to eat.