The problem with the "which is the best" kind of threads is that most of us only know the limited types/models that we ourselves have used, though there are some lucky exceptions out there, and many have us have certainly read the opinions of others.

Example 1:

Question: What is the best 2-person tent?

Answer: I use the <Brand A> <Model> and find it to be a great tent. If you waste your money on <Brand B> tents they will certainly fail in high winds and ruin your trip.

Example 2:

Question: What is the best LED headlamp?

Answer: I like the <Brand A> <Model A> and have used it for a year now. It is very bright and easy to use. People say that <Brand B> <Model B> is not very good.

The answers are genuine honest well-intentioned opinions of what matches the user's needs.

Oh, another interesting phenominon is that I find different forums have specific "favored" products. One knife formum almost always recommend brand X, while another almost always recommends brand Y. I see the same thing with tents. I happy to say that this forum seems to be less "brand biased".

Back to the Ritter knives ... I have to say that I spent a long time looking for a fixed blade that matched what I wanted. I just didn't see anything that made me buy - beyond a low cost Mora. The Buck Vanguad was kind of close, as was the Benchmade Rant. Finally Doug brought out his fixed blade. I'll admit I was suprized to see it having a handle as similar to the Mk1, but it worked. That is one sweet knife.

Would I be wrong to say that there is a much broader range of folders available to choose from than fixed blade knives? At least it seems that way to me.

Ken K.