Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Bummer. What were you sued for, the initial dog bite or something to do with the assistance you gave her? How was the suit resolved? Surely your homeowner's insurance carrier cross claimed against the dog owner, if the motion for a directed verdict/dismissal failed?

Agreed - no offense, this is why I don't like random counter-examples thrown out to support a point. What was the resolution of the claim, where did it take place, did you engage a lawyer - what did the entire incident actually cost you, in money, time and effort?

Whether you like it or not Sotto, the dog bite took place on your property, you were involved because of that - the neighbor's dog did the biting, but you provided the locus, and any lawyer worth their salt will join anyone in a lawsuit in an attempt to obtain all the facts for their client. Your beef - and your part of the lawsuit - is with your neighbor, for an uncontrolled dog who trespassed on your property and bit the mail person. The point of you getting a letter wasn't to find you liable for the dog bite or the medical assistance, it was to determine the actual facts and find the actual neighbor liable for their dog. If the outcome was different I'm all ears, but if the outcome was any different I suggest there might be more to the story, or you had really ineffective counsel.

I know its lousy to ive in a world of litigation, but on the other side of it there are a lot of folks out there avoiding responsibility (dog owners), to the extent that the rest of us (living next to the dog owner) get involved in lawsuits, just because the dog bit the mail man on our property. We sometimes live in the path of the tornado.