Quote:
I'm just an amateur psychologist interested in why people do the things that they do.
Quote:
How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?
First, as stated earlier, we aren't survivalists and this is not a survivalist forum. We're about preparedness. I look to earthquakes and wildfires when I think of likely situations. Others here look at hurricanes, tornadoes and serious floods. How about a routine drive out west and a winter storm brings you to a stop in a mountain pass. Survival may mean nothing more than extra clothing, blankets and a way to cook a small meal in your vehicle. For me it's about continuing to maintain the kits that will get me through that cold night. It's doubtful though that I'd ever let myself get that far into the mountains without knowing that the weather was closing in. Avoiding those situations is very doable.

I don't want to test my mettle in an EOTWAWKI scenario. There are enough natural situations in the real world that kill folks everyday.