Originally Posted By: Eugene

I just noticed this one. I'm traveling this weekend so its within the window. What can I do to improve my chances?

Not much, short of driving a very heavy, large vehicle, like a Suburban or a Peterbilt.

My perspective is warped from cutting people out of cars - I think of driving as the single most insane thing you can do, with the possible exception of Russian Roulette.

I've seen wrecks in snow, rain, night and day, where the car was hit and where the car just went off the road and we'll never know why.

The good news?

Early projections show traffic deaths for the first 10 months of 2008 are down about 10 percent compared with the same period last year. Estimates from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that 31,110 people died on the nation's roads from January through October, compared with 34,502 during the same period in 2007.

The bad news?
31,110 people died on the nation's roads from January through October. That's 102 people a day, or about 4 people an hour, every day of the week.

Of course, compared to the over 459,000 Americans that die of coronary heart disease every year, this is nothing, but it's still a big number.