Here's are my notable winter driving tales, both involve my tenure at my southern U. S. alma mater:

1. My dorm was at the bottom of a pretty good hill, across from my room are a row of sorority houses (good location) and in between are a small parking lot and a road. One cold January day I was studying at my desk and noticed that it has begun to sleet. Just then I heard a car begin to slide. I looked out the window just in tome to see a car slide into the bumper of a single axle delivery truck. The driver, who is uninjured, gets out to survey the damage. A few minutes, the campus police and a tow truck arrive and take care of the situation. Not five minutes later (and it is still sleeting) I get to watch an instant replay - bang.

2. My college transport was a 1971 Datsun 510 pickup. It was reliable, but it had a weak heater/defroster. On the day I leave to go home for the Christmas holidays, it was a nasty day - sleet with ice pellets and windy. Not the greatest day to be driving a lightly loaded pickup with recap tires. I was having a devil of a time keeping the windshield clear, (I had to stop twice to scrape it off) and several times resorted to driving half on the gravel shoulder to maintain traction and control. So, what should I see coming around a corner but a Ferrari 308! Seriously. What kind on an idiot drives a Ferrari on a day like that.