Here in the DFW metroplex we have a radio talk show host who has established a listeners foundation that supports the families of fallen police and fire fighters. The foundation serves an 11 county area.
Upon notification of an police/fire fatality the wheels are set in motion to provide the family a check to cover initial expenses before the insurance, etc. kicks in. The standard established is that the family has the check in hand within 24 hours of the time of death.
Currently the checks are $30,000.00
The listeners foundation came about after a multiple (4) fatality fire accident in about 1997. The fire fighters were all volunteers except that two were also full time fire fighters at another paid department. The two paid fire fighters city insurance refused to pay as they were killed at a fire for another department. It would have paid if they had passed ANY other way. This radio personality came out of his own pocket and paid for the funerals of all four and helped the families with other expenses.
Since then it has been my honor to aid with cash and labor to further that foundation.

On December 16, 2006 an officer was aiding a motorist in Ft. Worth. His scout car was struck from behind by a DWI driver. He was trapped in the Crown Victoria and died in the subsequent fire. He and his wife were anticipating his paycheck to go Christmas shopping. I was notified at daylight and started my family in motion. After the last visitation my family and I delivered an entire Christmas to a FWPD sub-station for anonymous delivery to the fallen officers family. I have always asked for no recognition. My company also goes out and does emergency repairs at these families homes and for officers injured in the line of duty.

If any of our ETS members have the time and wherewithal to aid folks that protect us, please do. I did meet the fallen officers family in 2006 at the wife's request. My family and I spent Christmas with them and helped/played with the kids. It was the worst and BEST Christmas of my and my families lives. I know that ETS has multiple Police/Fire/Rescue/EMS that are paid,unpaid, future and retired. Is it time to consider giving a little something to help this officers family? Is there a way ETS can help? I would be willing to put up the first small amount if it can be done. Let me know.

Sorry for the long story. (It really only touches the tip of the iceberg.) The fact that this thread came on the two year anniversary of the FWPD officer's death as I was taking off my coat from visiting the family at the cemetery.

Edited by Desperado (12/16/08 06:51 AM)

RIP OBG