Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Originally Posted By: jaywalke
I am a big, biased fan of Marlin .22 rifles. 10/22s work fine, but they really are the McDonalds of plinkers. Now, I'll eat at McD's when I'm hungry and broke, but I prefer not to. Why, exactly, would I need a thirty-round banana clip and a folding tactical stock on a .22? Are we being invaded by an army of terrorist woodchucks? :-]

#1, The point from the OP is to indeed get the best for the money, and when I'm hungry and on a budget I go to McD's (Jack in the Box, YMMV).
#2, Having the option to have options is what I like. I like being able to get a 30 round mag and as mentioned before the reason I want a folding stock is to stick it in a pack. The 30 round mag is just for fun plinking IMO, I'd use the 10 for hunting since it fits snug, but it also fits easily in pockets.

Having owned .22's from Marlin, Ruger, Remington, Winchester and Springfield Armory of different ages of manufacture I am speaking from a position of experience not preference. If we are getting into preference, ignoring the OP, Anshutz or Springfield Armory target bolt actions. Since we then leave the $175 region and enter the $2000 region I do not think it practical to go there.
BTW, I have a Marlin .22, it is what I refer to as a JAMAMATIC. Couldn't give me one. Have been working with the thing for 20 years and several gunsmiths. 1 round in three "stovepipes" sideways. Marlin has basically told me tough stuff, deal with it. When my Ruger 10/22 goes bang and there is another round in the mag it reloads itself reliably.

RIP OBG