Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
I know my home phone is via the TV cable and it has a limited back up built in the modem that will last a few hours. But when that goes, no phone unless I plug the modem into my home UPS unit.

I wouldn’t count on that. I have my entire computer and cable broadband system plugged into an APC UPS here. I have seen several (not all) power outages in which my cable modem stayed operational, but the cable service was unavailable nonetheless.

There many routers and junctions in between your cable modem/phone adapter and the cable company’s head end, and each requires backup power. Not all power outages seem to take the cable down… especially if the power outage is short, but do not be surprised if you do not get a dial tone even though your cable modem is still up and running.

Those typically have battery backup as well. I've reported my home power out many times via the power companies web site using my laptop and cable modem powered by battery. The large power outages we had from hurricane katrina the power company web site kept an interactive map of outage locations and expected power restore times.