Something to think about.

The West side area of my city just had at least 1 transformer failure resulting in a major area black out. I was prepared with several LED lanterns and flashlights as were the crew at my office.
Without Electricity powering our phone system, other than by cell phone we had no way to call out in most of Our building, except at the front counter which has a spare jack with a old style rotary phone that doesn't need power other than from the phone lines to operate.

I'm having a battery backup wired into our phone system for future power outages.

I know my home phone is via the TV cable and it has a limited back up built in the modem that will last a few hours. But when that goes, no phone unless I plug the modem into my home UPS unit.

Our cell service continued to work, but was often busy from the volume of calls using the system.

How many have a way of charging their cell phone should you lose power?

I have a vehicle charger that stays in my Yukon full time and my personal support kit has spare 120 volt and 12 volt chargers, as does my BOB. I can plug my UPS into my Generator and run chargers off the UPS when I'm home but I often travel and who knows what is available where I might be at. I think I'll shop around for a "crank" or AA battery phone charger to add the my emergency supplies.

Edited by SBRaider (12/10/08 03:56 PM)