Well Benjamin, it would appear you might not ;t change your mind on this issue, so I won;t try. But, rest assured, if you go to the gun shop tomorrow, the ONLY federal paperwork you will have to complete is the application so the store owner can run an NCIC check on you. Now, the gun shop owner has to complete his own fed paperwork on the sale of the gun, but that paperwork goes nowhere (unless you buy several weapons OR unless he submits it to ATF outlining the reasons why he thought the purchase suspicious).

In any event, a private sale is ok. It's like selling a pocket knife. The act of the sale is no more different than that. There is no paperwork to be filled out, not even a receipt. BUT!: I recommended a receipt and ID in my first post just so that, in the event the weapon was ever used in a crime, the buyer at least had some evidence of when and from whom he purchased it, even though he's not required to have it. It would be some evidence.... some attempt... of protecting yourself.

I work amid these LE people and sifting through records out of boredom is not something I've witnessed in 24 years...... but that could change soon, of course (NO. I DID NOT SAY "POLITICS". I DID NOT!) ((( laugh )))

Edited by Stretch (12/07/08 01:12 AM)