On rescue breathing: Yeah, I think they may be going to "compressions only" CPR for citizen rescuers. Professional rescuers use a slightly different version of CPR. But mouth to mouth is simple to do and it works very well. Consider who you are are around most often, which is usually family, friends, and co-workers. M to M is something I might not want to do on some stranger, but I consider it an essential skill to have.

On AEDs: Yes, most models have very simple, clear, illustrated instructions right on them, and some have voice prompts as well. They are extremely safe and easy for anyone to use, by design. No thinking or advanced knowledge is required. But a little advance familiarization training will reduce stress, doubt and hesitancy, while improving speed and confidence in their use.

AEDs can make a HUGE difference in appropriate cases. Not all CPR cases require a defibrillation "shock," but those who do need it as fast as possible. If they get it even a few moments sooner because a citizen applied an AED before the rescuers arrived, it could make all the difference.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (12/07/08 12:52 AM)