While I can't hid my preparedness from my co-workers, (hell I make coffee on my desk with a French Press and heat the water with a Camping Gaz stove), I don't advertise my stockpile of ammo, food & water at home.

In my past travels, I've spent several weeks where the community was left to its own devices for food and water after a natural disaster. For the most part everyone worked communally for the benefit of us all. I remember hauling water and making fire to boil it and taking my ration, giving some to families with kids. I didn't tell anyone I started the mess with 100 gallons of water stocked away and ton of provisions. Taking my ration didn't raise any questions and giving some away endeared me to families. When a family had a sick child or unable to get food, they would find a few nyquils and cough drops or a can of beans mysteriously show up at their door.

My current neighborhood reality is that I am acquainted with but not chummy with my neighbors. I'm prepared for a long stay but plan is not to hunker at my house during a disaster if I can avoid it. Meaning, if my area is hammered and I can stay with someone out of the zone, I am putting my family there. Having food stores is great, making my family safe and comfortable is the priority.