The $85 box likely uses the most recent component design, some of which may be hype, and usually involves a higher QC claim for release. Performance variance is not proportional to cost variance, so you may be paying over 3 times as much to get maybe a 15% improvement at best in terminal performance and/or durability.

You can always surpass factory ammo by reloading, if you are willing to make the investment and exercise the level of QC and analysis necessary. The basic "O" press, such as an RCBS Rockchucker is adequate for the task. A good set of dies will also be more than enough to improve on factory quality. From there, it is all about consistency; using case gauges, keeping the materials clean and undamaged, accurate metering of charges, concentricity of the bullets, etc. Then there's things like headspace and freebore, which you can take advantage of reloading that is impossible for factory ammo. Then it is range time, working up different combinations of loads, testing them, measuring them (muzzle velocity tells you part of the story), and basically proofing your loads to the firearm you intend to use it in. Semi-automatic firearms especially are sensitive to variations in things like chamber pressure, rise time, barrel dwell, all of which can be greatly influenced by reloading techniques.

All told, I have maybe $1,000 invested in my reloading setup, including half a dozen die sets for various cartridges I use. The offset is that after shooting 10,000 rounds of reloaded ammunition, I've probably amortized the cost of the equipment already. By and large, the best results I get with all my firearms except those chambered for 22 lr (which I don't reload for) are with ammunition I have reloaded based on a fair amount of experimentation and testing. Also, the range of loads I can shoot reliably in my firearms is far more extensive than what is offered by the manufacturers.