As with everything, there are problems. Most public walkie-talkies sold today are FRS/GMRS combo radios. This means they operate at 2W on GMRS and don't have a removable antenna. Older GMRS-only radios went up to 5 watts, most had removable antennas so you could put a decent on on the radio or use one on top of the house or car with a long enough cable, and some were repeatable capable. Oh, well. GMRS does not "generally" require a license in the US. A license is required. Virtually no one has one, though because of the combo radios. There are no GMRS purpose-built mobile radios being made that I'm aware of - I'd welcome information. Many of us are using commercial radios that cover the GMRS frequency but have limitations in hardware - no keypad, for example, requiring programming the frequencies and PL codes by computer.

Combo radios are a half-watt on FRS, usually 2W on GMRS, and they can't do repeater splits. The antenna is pretty sucky.

All handhelds are limited by the antenna, regardless of the wattage and service (GMRS, FRS, MURS, or ham). MURS antennas are fairly expensive because of the low demand. I bought a cheap pair from Amazon, and one failed after the first use - the transmit button stuck on, the radio wouldn't power off while the button was stuck, so I took the batteries out. Cheap radios suck, because they fail when you need them.

Someone else has explained the so-called privacy codes. You still get interference when you try to transmit. CTCSS or PL tones or privacy codes don't create a private channel, eliminate cross talk or do anything other than keeping your squelch from being broken by someone not using your tone. Louise and I go to Burning Man, and GMRS/FRS is useless because you've got a few tens of thousands of people on the couple of dozen frequencies, and it doesn't matter what your 'privacy code' is, there's someone on it.

Louise and I use GMRS a lot. My suggestion is to use the radios, instead of just sticking them in a box or car or bag somewhere. We take them with us when we fly ("Hey, hon, they just called our flight - have you got our coffee yet?"), when we travel ("Hey, hon, the tank's full. Have you got our coffee yet?"), and when we shop in those big box stores ("Hey, hon, come see these coffee mugs with flames on the sides!"). I'd suggest getting a license and actually using the radio! Wow! What a thought.

Conversely, Louise and I are amateur radio operators, too. If you want a really useable radio, get your ham license and get on the repeaters in your area. Volunteer at public events (walk-a-thons, run-a-thons, bike-a-thons) and use the radios with other hams so you get known as reliable communicators, and you can help out in disasters.