COLD and CROWDS are absolute certainties. EXTREME COLD and EXTREME CROWDS are very possible.

Everything that can be done to guard against horrors that terrorists might conceive will be done and is being done (Inaugural planning, including security, never really stops and organizing for it begins two years in advance). The worst scenarios for DC no individual can survive, no matter the survival kit they may carry. I won't fare well in that regard, in my home, a few blocks from the Capitol. So I must have faith that won't happen or I couldn't live here day to day and certainly wouldn't stay here on Inaugural Day.

The most important "gear" your son can carry will be on his feet. If his shoes/boots are WARM, WATERPROOF and COMFORTABLE then he'll be in fine shape to stand around in the cold mud for hours and also to walk out of the city if need be.

Two incidents in DC history have made me a firm believer in having the capacity to evacuate on foot or by bike: 9/11 and the Air Florida plane crash + Metro fatal crash + snowstorm of January 13, 1982 that paralyzed the city.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/AirFlorida_SubwayDis.html

If you can walk and stay warm then you are going to be in good shape for whatever Mother Nature or humanity are likely to throw at you during Inaugural week.

If it would make you feel better, PM me and I can be an emergency contact for your son while he is in Washington.

[u][/u]

Edited by Dagny (11/30/08 03:15 PM)