I was "restructured" a few years back. That was the euphemism they used anyway. Luckily, when the folks I worked for first hinted they may be looking at those measures, we pulled back immediately. We made it a game to get out of debt...even if we had a spare $5 we were making payments and high-fiving.

We put cases of canned goods under beds and couches (we have no storage space), dried items into containers and started buying for nthe long-haul. By the time the axe dropped, the only debt we had was $2000 on the car and my vacation payout covered that. One day after the payout hit the bank, I paid it off.

I was out of work for 11 months...which sped by! I had assumed it would have been more like 3-4 but times were tough when it happened.

Looking back...we could have cut back even more if we'd had to. We pretty much have the shutdown steps down now. We still hate debt and will cut in a minute if it looks like that is the option. Lately it looks like retirement, which was to be a good number of years away, might never be an option.

But we also shifted buying habits. We have squirreled away some food, first aid items, clothes, blankets, and utilitarian items. We already tried to wait and buy stuff which would last, and we continue that.

Never pass up training...OF ANY KIND. Even if you think you might never use it. And don't do what I did for years and not keep records and certificates and such. One day they may come in handy.

Oh...and don't count that EtOH stove out. It too may have a part to play.

In the end, I don't think ANYONE is ever really prepared to lose their job...but you can take measures that sure make it hurt a lot less and helps keep the little stuff and wolves at bay while you focus on bigger things.