My answer here is it sort of depends. I think V's fob contains stuff he is likely to use often vs the sealed tin kit approach.

I go the mixed route. I carry two key devices. One has my house and car keys only along with the car door opener thing, the other has a Leatherman micra, BSA hot spark, aluminum capsule with vaseline/cotton tinder, and a stainless pill capsule. Other "essentials" are spread around my normal clothing pockets, belt etc. This way no one container has the works, and this way I can keep the contents semi thin.

I always wear a wool vest with multi-pockets, this takes most of the stuff, my pant, shirt and coat pockets along with a shoulder bag take the rest. I have recently renovated and slimmed my EDC down, but still wear the vest.

Each layer is more capable than the other. I also think it is important to maintain a decent desk kit at work....no taking it through security everyday, mail it to yourself if needed. Mine has water, 3 foot prybar, hardhat, gloves, dustmask and safety glasses. I also keep a waterproof coat and hat year round at my desk. I also keep a hidden set of car and house keys at my worksite.

Neck ID string contains ID, Fox40 and LED light.

I think spread around has many advantages over the single pouch approach, but in reality I tend to be redundant in many areas because of this approach.