The few times I have felt a need for one I have either tied a monkey's fist or toggle.

A monkey's fist can be made anywhere from half and inch in diameter to well over 6" by using different cordage and varying the number of wraps. Any but the smallest will accept a ball of some description as a filler and form. I have used a light plastic ball for flotation and a four ounce lead ball for light throwing line intended for moderate distances.

Toggles are best hardwood but I have used bamboo as well. Small toggles allow a button hole to be used as a reliable attachment point. If a tight loop and toggle are tied at the end of a lanyard it makes attachment to a belt or strap easy.

A small pouch of thin leather or nylon also makes an effective fob. Left empty it weighs very little and takes up little room. Stuff in a couple of rocks and you have a throwing bag. Good for getting that light line over a branch so you can hang your food.

A tiny pouch, like a medicine bag, can carry a button compass, a waxed cotton ball and few flints for the Zippo. Storage and fob in one.