I have to agree, this year I am able to be more giving than in the past. The wife and I are able to sponser a family for Christmas; this includes not only a meal and some presents, but paying all the bills for the month of December. It is a humbling and awesome blessing to be able to do this now, because there was a time when going to the store just to buy Christmas dinner for ourselves was not just a given. In addition, we bought a carful of toys for the Marines, and took a few more cards off the Salvation Army tree. All of this is paid out of an abundance, so it isn't like we are doing without anything this year to help others. We believe it is God's gift to us to let us feel the joy of helping others.

In addition, I am back in Denver, which is a good thing for me, and my daughters are going to be with us for nearly 4 weeks over Christmas break. My job is going great, even with the bureaucracy I have to deal with. We are pushing the envelope of applying technology to publish all the project information in new ways. We are also pumping an awful lot of money back into the local economy for construction work (somewhere around $700 million over the next 3 years, combined with $450 million from the School District). It feels good to be part of something like that.

My only regret is that there's no way for me to practically distribute my good fortune further. If our budget will take it responsibly, we may offer to sponser another family as well, but I do believe in making the "Talents" I was given by the master produce as well.

It is all relative I suppose, for every down on your luck case out there, there always seems to be someone on the up and up to balance the equation. I've been on both sides of the window, so I guess most everyone will get their turn, to some degree anyways.