My holiday cheer comes from giving to foster kids. Every year there's a holiday tree in the lobby of the buildings at work, every year we grab tags with names and the one gift they want most of all, and we buy them. Last year I pulled maybe a dozen tags, this year its over 20 and counting. My #1 son was a foster kid, their role in life is pretty tough - the very least I can do is give alot of them a Christmas gift. They usually don't ask for much, maybe a Disney movie, hair accessories, a warm jacket or a race car. I broke down and cried reading the tag from a 7 year old who asked for 'something to hug.' Since I have more right now I've tried to focus on the older kids, they sometimes want something that costs extra - the 17 year old who wants an electric razor, the teens who want sleeping bags for camping. Grown ups too, an elderly person who wanted a gift certificate to buy candy for her candy dish, for her grandkids coming to visit. When its all said and done though, there will be more kids wanting gifts than people who can give them, some are gonna do without, that's a fact.

I guess in retrospect this isn't such a cheerful recession story, but really what is. I guess if there's a reason for cheer its to find some joy in giving, there are kids and people out there struggling to survive just like you, alot of them not as well prepared for the struggle. I encourage folks to look at the trees when you pass them, or if you don't see one near you talk to the local foster agencies, food banks, toy banks, everyone who's out looking for donations right now. If not money or gifts, give some of your time, now or anytime during the year. It gives back, that's all I know for sure. There's still alot of hurt out there no matter what we do.