Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: jaywalke
Most estimates I've seen say that it starts to go bad after a year. That said, backpacking stoves are less complicated than engines, and if you know how to clean and maintain your stove you can burn white gas that is much older. My record is five years with no clogging, and only a slight drop-off in performance. Of course, I have no idea how long the stuff had been in the can when I bought it. I wonder if there's a date on the can . . .
I'm still using the gallon can of Coleman fuel that I bought in 1987. It's still going strong. I use it in my MSR Whisperlite and my 1960's vintage two burner Coleman camping stove.
I was down at the local Adventure 16 (a mountaineering/hiking chain local to Southern California) last night. I talked to one of the staff who I have spoken to before; she's very knowledgable. She indicated that Coleman fuel is good for up to a year, but that it declines in heat output and produces more soot thereafter. She explained that the evaporation-condensation cycle within the gas can causes the white gas to start getting thicker. She said that decanting the white gas into smaller containers with a much smaller air space would preserve the white gas longer.

Interestingly, she said that MSR white gas should NOT be used in Coleman stoves or lanterns. Apparently, Coleman adds a rust inhibitor to it's fuel but MSR does not. According to her, Coleman stoves and lanterns will rust without the rust inhibitor.

This sounds right, but I haven't verified it. Any feedback on her advice?