Thanks for the recommendation. I also found a great website that also provided a lot of really good detail. http://www.twowayradioforum.com/forum/index.php

I see they rate the Midland GTX900 as well as the Cobra LI72002WXVP and the Motorola TALKABOUT T9500XLR very highly. The Midland seems to have more features than the Cobra model and cheaper but the Cobra model has awesome battery life. The Midland is more flexible with its power options however and can use either 4-AA or the rechargeable battery pack. The 20 "extra" channels on the Midland are actually preset FRS/GMRS channels with preset codes. Nothing more than what you already have except the quick setting of these channels! A chart mapping the channels/codes has been published on the above website.

I've got a bit more price/feature shopping to do but I expect that with Christmas around the corner, that sales of these radios may be coming very soon.

--
BTW, in Canada, we do not have the GMRS licensing restrictions you have in the States. GMRS radios up to 2 watts output (not input) do not require any licensing. smile

And yes, I don't believe the stated range for a moment! Not unless you are calling from mountain top to mountain top with clear line of sight!