I have used white gas stoves, Svea 123 is my favorite, when I was camping and still keep it, and a gallon of white gas, on hand. Camping alone a quart of gas would last about a week more or less. Boiling water to avoid having to treat the water uses gas and colder temperatures always made me use more. YMMV.

More recently I have gone to propane for emergency fuel. A single-burner stove, a single-mantle lantern and a small catalytic heater (all of which use one pound bottles) have been my choice. Every third time I go to Wally I get a couple of bottles and have built up a good supply. The propane in small bottles has advantages like quick and easy starting, reliability, no-mess, and effectiveness going for it.

Camping I have also used a Zip stove. Now known as the Sierra Stove. This is essentially a burner that uses pretty much any solid fuel that boosts output by adding a tiny blower that runs for many hours on a small battery. Use a rotating pair of rechargeable batteries and a solar charger and you should be set for a long time.

These units burn pretty much anything you can fed into it and they are much better, faster and more efficient, than a traditional campfire. Scrap wood pallets, available around most retail stores, chopped into kindling work fine. Pine cones work really well. Twigs or newspaper rolled tightly into pencil sized sticks and cut short are okay but they burn quick.

Here in the SE I could run this unit virtually forever on the limbs that fall in the yard. Worse case, broken leg where I can't leave the porch, I chop up that coffee table I never liked. Should hold me for a week or two. No shortage of stuff I could feed it.

The only down side is that it doesn't simmer well at all (fires of hell or nothing), it produces soot and ash that can make a mess, and it has to be tended pretty much constantly when it is being used. You can't put a pot of pilaf on and walk away for ten minutes without it running out of fuel it has to be fed every five minutes or so. This is okay for reheating the pot of coffee, where I can stuff in enough fuel to bring it to a boil and running out of fuel just saves me a step during cleanup.

http://www.zzstove.com/

I keep my options open by having all of them.