Originally Posted By: nursemike
...snip...Lever action rifles are nostalgic and convenient to carry, but tend to give up some accuracy and reliability to the turnbolts-probably why one doesn't see the marine snipers zeroing in their savage 99's (my nominee for the prettiest long arm).
...snip...

A man of taste - I inherrited Dad's M-99 in .300 Sav when he passed on, and it has become MY deer rifle for most uses, despite owning a heavy barrel (Hart varmint weight stainless) tricked out Ruger M-77 that is a heck of a lot more accurate (like one ragged - well very ragged - hole, say 1/2) at 100 yds off the bench)

Why? Easier to carry, good enough for ranges under 200 yds, and most because Dad carried that rifle every year from the time he got it in the early 1950s. With Dad gone, it's partly my way of remembering some real GOOD times with him (why is monitor suddenly getting blurry?)

Dad and his 2 LONG time hunting buddies, Frank and Norman ALL used M-99s in 300 Sav - Dad's was the regular 99, Frank's was the M-99 with the fancy foreend (99r?) and Norman's was in between. Frank and my Father hunted together from before WWII, till Frank passed on about 11 years ago. Dad only started hunting with Norman in the 1940s or 50s, and stopped when Norman died in 2005 - Dad's last year in the woods was 2006.

Those three M-99s took a HECK of a lot of deer over the years - All three men used the OLD 180 grain round nosed "Core-lok" load - and when Remington discontinued the 180gr round nosed bullet, I bought EVERY one I could find - about 700 bullets, and reloaded for all 3 men after that

(mental picture - Dad in the old Red and Black Woolrich pants and jacket, orange knit cap, Red Ball rubber boots, a pair of gloves, holding the M-99 by the receiver, walking through Norman's garden to get to where we used to hunt)

My leg is such that I didn't get out last year or this - aarrgghh - can't walk

RIP Frank, Norman and Dad
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com