I have a Marlin 336 in 35 remington. I bought it used in 1989 after it had been worked over good by a gunsmith, including a new hi-luster bluing job and trigger work, for $145. I put a Weaver 2.5 to 7x variable on top of it, and it kept groups below one minute of angle using standard 200 grain factory ammo. This was before the micro-groove adaptation Marlin made to their rifling. It is a great little carbine.

For a used Marlin 336 in good condition with the scope and accessories you mentioned, I would likely be looking to pay a little less than what he's asking. See if you can get him down a little closer to $250. Out east 30-30s are generally more popular and desirable, though there are certainly plenty good lever guns on this side of the Mississippi as well.

Generally, you will want to limit your effective shooting range to a maximum of 150 yards with that gun, unless you can judge bullet drop well. The 30-30 has the dubious nickname of leg breaker, as many of those who shot that round notoriously shot at deer too far awaywithout adjusting for bullet drop, usually resulting in a leg hit wounded animal that quickly hobbled into the bushes to die a slow death, rather than in the vitals for a clean, quick kill.