Quote:
You want a "command center" you can't do much better than a computer with 2 or 3 big screens and a TV tuner card or dongle.
Just power-hungry.

Power is indeed the problem, so is some form of portability when required i.e. a bug out situation.

My alternative 'Command Centre' setup

Viewing DVB Digital TV/Radio/Teletext broadcast reception (Laura DVB reciever)

Recording and playback of DVB broadcasts (Archos 605)

Watching DVD quality video (recoded to DivX) and Audio formats stored on SDHC cards using the Archos.

The ability to view and read any PDF file stored on the SDHC cards using the Archos.

The ability to take VGA quality Video and high resolution photos (Casio Exlim) and watch the captured content on a high reolution screen on the (Archos 605)

GSM 2.5 connectivity (Voice calls, SMS, picture SMS, email etc) using the Motorola.

The weakest link so far is Internet connectivity (current setup works quite nicely with VOIP cable broadband wireless router at home). I'm currently looking into 3G connection i.e. a 3G phone with an inbuilt wireless router (not yet available) to replace the current Motorola mobile phone. This would give the ability to access hundred of IPTV, IP Radio, Podcasts sources etc from around the world and full internet access ability.

I'm also currently looking for a high capacity general purpose Lithium Ion portable rechargeable battery with both 12V and USB input/output connectivity with individual cells based on either 18650 or RCR123 so as to be compatible with general purpose flashlights.

The SW radio reciever is not shown but is off course included. Everything should fit into a large SLR type camera bag including the Solar Power sources and associated cabling.

The Archos 605 can also be used as a Vehicle GPS navigator with the Archos GPS attachment.

And if all else fails then a portable Satellite TV reciever system may be required. laugh

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48737&DOY=12m11

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/17/08 02:47 PM)