Originally Posted By: benjammin
In school we discussed it and we were all fairly adamant that we wouldn't let such be done to us; that we would've fought them, but watching the movie, it's easy to see how, over a long period of gradual escalation, people could allow such a thing to be done to them.

I agree, we must be vigilant. I see things happening right now that I don't like, although it's debatable which way it will go.

My Mom, being from Holland, was in the Dutch Underground in WW2. One of her brothers was caught sending messages in morse code over the phone lines and was sent to a concentration camp, I think it was Bergen Belsen. They didn't talk about it much, but he survived. He was not quite right mentally for the rest of his life, but nobody blamed him. The rest of her family were very active in the resistance, she was a Pharmacist's apprentice, and had a pass to be out after curfew to deliver medications to people. She would smuggle messages for the Allies in the handlebars of her bicycle.

Talk about some brave people. One of her older sisters housed a Jewish family in her apartment during the war, and got a stipend from the Dutch govt. for doing that for the rest of her life. My grandmother, from a Jewish family (but converted to Catholicism) had to wear the Star of David throughout the war. One of my uncles was Patton's interpreter - talk about some of his stories...

I'll see if I can't get any more of the concentration camp stories from my Uncle. Unfortunately, I don't have too many left.