Folks, I can't believe I'm reading this here.

Ammo is like water - you keep plenty around, because when it runs out, there's no substitute for it. With the diversion of military calibers to Iraq and panic buying by other gun owners who have not actually made their supply ready over the years, it's no wonder there are shortages.

I always made a point of buying ammo almost every time I was in the gun shop or other store that sells it, for 10 years now. Just a box here and there, not so it hurts, but so if I want to go to the range and shred paper for 6 hours, I'm not really thinking about if I can spare 400 rounds. I like to shoot until I'm TIRED, so that means plenty of ammo.

Stores are only one source for ammo. Every time I can pick up a brick or two of ammo at a yard sale - even for guns I don't have - I do, and for guns I do own, I've always been sure to have enough ammo for a fun time at the range any time I want, several times over.

Anyway, I've always had lots of luck at estate sales, just ask "are there any firearms related items" and 7 times out of 10, I get led into the basement where 'ol Hank kept his hunting stuff and the wife has no idea what 5,000 rounds of 30-06 ammo in sealed metal cans should cost, so if I get it out of there for $25, she's happy. Oh and can you just take that box of odd ammo
(with like 37 rounds each of .32, .25, 25-40, 38 Special, 8mm, .44 and a bunch of other oddball stuff)

Also got about 4,000 rounds of Ballisticlean 9MM lead-free training ammo at an estate sale for $100 once.

There are options.