Here's the deal, and maybe I've stumbled onto something here; my wife can't take eating sugar in anything more than about 5grams per 8 to 12 oz serving. Unfortunately, the mainstream doesn't cater to her limitations, so often when we go somewhere, she has to do without. I have learned to use Splenda in place of sugar in many recipes, but hadn't tried donuts yet.

The lightbulb pops on...

Given how well certain other businesses are doing selling sugar based pastries and confections, and the apparent lack of market support for sugar free or no sugar added products, perhaps someone of resource might consider marketing said products. Imagine, a donut that is as good as a Crispy Creme, yet little to no sugar. Okay, you'd still have to inject it full of fat, but then you have Big Ben's squirrel donuts again, so I'd just have to switch to lard instead of canola oil to low temp fry my essentially sugar free donuts in.

Now, I've perfected a fudge recipe, a muffin recipe, various cake and pie recipes, and a few cookie recipes. I even have a darned good and authentic sugarfree flan recipe, that also happens to be lowfat, but we won't discuss that just yet.

Or maybe we will. Maybe it's time that the consumer is finally ready to consider some low fat, low sugar renditions of their favorite consumables. What do ya think? If I could come up with a really close knock-off, would it be worth a little extra to get something a little healthier? I could even up the soluble fiber content in a lot of things without altering the taste/texture in most cases.

Would a 10 to 15% increase in cost be small enough to be acceptable?