I've read John Barry's The Great Influenza, a terrific account of the last great flu pandemic of 1917, and am fairly convinced that the pandemic will be upon us all before we can take precautions or 'execute our fortification options'. Although if you are remote enough and keep enough distance from folks, anything can happen, but even with the best preps the flu will come down on us like rain, and its darn hard to dodge rain drops.

I think every one of your observations are good, and how you got sick should mirror how you may get sick in an actual pandemic. The most alarming thing to me is being sick, and unable to care for others. Your kids could be dying, while mom and dad are dying too, a day before or a day after the flu has run its course through others. Its a crapshoot, and beyond your control. Build some support systems now, so that in the event your family comes down with the flu, someone can come in and look in on you, and hopefully care for you enough to see you all through. And be prepared to reciprocate for others outside your immediate family.

One other thing about a flu pandemic to expect are the waves of influenza you may be exposed to - it doesn't all come at once, it may come in waves several months apart. Barry's book does alot to describe how this impacted world societies at the time, I really recommend it as a read to prepare for a pandemic. One observation that hasn't been fully confirmed is that folks who survived an early wave of influenza in 1917 appeared to be partially immune to a subsequent wave, that killed plenty of people when it came.

Most of all, just be ready for the reality of a pandemic - you can't run, there's not very many places to hide either. The best preparations may include some steps that don't come naturally to some folks on this forum - self-reliance is not as valuable an adaption as relying on others for surviving a pandemic. Be prepared to be sick, and be prepared to die and to watch loved ones die.