Well, I tried to make some home made donuts this weekend. Unfortunately the oil wasn't hot enough and so they turned into oil soaked rings. I decided that the neighborhood squirrels aren't fat enough yet, so I played find the donuts with them, and broke a few up and put them on the bird feeders, where the squirrels can't get to. With all that oil in them, those critters ought to get nice and fat.

As a consolation, I made up some of Great Grandma Lindgren's swedish hard tack (an authentic recipe I got from my step-dad's family, who are swedish descendents). It is irresistable, and I share with y'all here. I improved on the original a little. Enjoy.

Big Bens Swedish Hard Tack

2 c all purpose flour
1 c rye flour
c sugar
tsp baking soda
tsp salt
cup butter or margarine or butter flavor crisco
1 c buttermilk
2 tbsp fennel seed
2 tbsp caraway seed

In a medium bowl, blend flour, sugar, salt and soda. Cut in margarine until
mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and add fennel and caraway seeds
using a big wooden spoon. With floured hands, shape into patties and
roll on floured board to make very thin oblong sheets that will fit on the cookie sheet. Bake on ungreased sheets at 450 deg F for fifteen minutes or until light to medium brown. A special fine checkered rolling pin can be used to give the sheets some texture, or you can roll them smooth and add texture by lightly pricking the surface with a fork all over. Serve with room temperature butter or margarine and/or slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Makes 5 or 6 sheets.