Low cost, clean, safe, and well regulated water is one of the biggest single advances in civilization and health ever. Unfortunately bottled water nibbles away at this valuable asset. The guy dumping used motor oil and pesticides down the storm drain can comfort himself that there is no danger because 'everyone' drinks bottled water.

It think that as we have shifted to the illusion of better water in bottles we have become more complacent in protecting the common good of safe and clean municipal water.

I'm not surprised about finding crud in bottled water. I have done work at a water bottling plant that drew from a spring. The theory is that spring water is cleaner and safer. The fact is that while spring water can be safe and more pure it largely depends on what is upstream in the underground flow. Dairy farms and golf courses are common sources of chemicals and manure that flow to sinkholes or unsealed old wells and on down into the aquifer.

I do buy bottled water but I make sure it comes from a municipal supply so the source has been tested and regulated. The bottling company then 'polishes' the water, typically running it through a carbon filter to remove chlorine, and seals it in bottles. This sort of bottled water is, IMHO, the safest out there and it usually is also the cheapest. this is how most major supermarkets get their store brand bottled water.

I keep a six pack or two of half-liter bottles in my vehicle and can say that even after three years of Florida heat the water was still good. Had the typical plastic taste but discounting a certain amount of abnormal testicular growth, and consequent lean to the left, that went away in time, it was fine. <jk>

Other than reserve supplies I don't drink bottled water.