Personal responsibility, or the lack of it, drive most people to default to please rescue me mentality. There are ocean going sailors out there who purposely do not carry an EPIRB because is is their conviction that they are doing this and it is not someone else's responsibility to come rescue them. They carry liferafts, etc, but not a beacon. A broken down car in the field is not the same as an airplane crash, or even going into a ravine in a car. It was an inconvenience for them, that's all.

Going cross country instead of following the road, their decision. I would have taken the road as it is easier (generally) hiking, allbeit longer.

I have the same issue with people who first and foremost default to "carry a PLB". It is your responsibility to make sure that you can succeed in whatever adventure you are on, are properly equipped, and that you exhaust all other possibilities before punching 911. No one made you go, it was your choice.

Final note, just remember that the police are there to ask questions and arrest the guilty, not protect you. That is your responsibility since the bad guys outnumber the good guys by way too much.

Rant mode off,
Bill