Originally Posted By: Russ
I'd have at least stayed the night, good excuse for a quiet evening out. Then again, they may have had things to do and didn't want to unnecessarily worry folks when they didn't return on time. They made this Stay or Go decision in the field at the time and it appears they made the right choice. . . for them.

The people who are second-guessing their decision weren't there and it may not have been the correct choice for those individuals.

They thought of staying the night, but did not needlessly wish to worry their family nor cause any unnecessary search.

A short while ago, I talked to my co-worker and got a bit more info. After looking on Google Earth tonight, they figure the hike was about 15-17 kms and took just over 5 hours with darkness coming just as they got to the paved road. They started at approx 4100' elevation and went down to about 2600 feet at the road. The terrain was easy walking at times but also very steep and slippery (wet) in other areas. She has a few sore spots and bruises on her side and arms from taking a tumble almost backwards after slipping on a wet rock. She said that when she found herself falling, that all she could think about was tucking and covering her head so it did not get bashed on the ground....smart thinking.

They also found that their maps for this area are not scaled enough for hiking but even having this map was better then none. Other then this and wishing they had gaiters to help keep the pants drier (no cotton) their gear was more then adequate for their needs.

I asked both if they would make the same decision today as yesterday. The answer was yes...however the main concern if her fall had been worse (ie: bashed her head, broken bones, sprains etc) it could of quickly escalated to a more serious situation.