Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
For them it was the right thing. If you're a well versed outdoorsman and you are well equipped a 14 mile hike INTO civilization (Psychologically boosting) is easily done. From what you've said they did, they did the right thing. Leaving the notes behind with the vehicle was a smart one.

Personally I feel they were in an ideal situation. It's not as if they had no idea where they were and where to go. They had a road to follow and following it lets them know they are always on the right path, but like you said they went in a straight line to save distance, which was logical. If it were me I wouldn't want to stay put. I'm a man of action and I don't much care for sitting still and waiting for someone to find me, which sometimes might not happen all that quickly.

I would've walked out. If I were going on (and I have) the same kind of trip they were on I would have with me most likely the very same items they had with them. I would've said "Well, this sucks", but I would've walked out as well.

Besides....who doesn't love a good adventure?

Agreed. But Nursemike makes a good point . . .

Jeff