There have been a number of requests for information on more "mundane" survival topics such as physical fitness as a prep for survival. Checking history on the forum, we have quite a bit we've discussed about staying on top of your game.

Road work(jogging) and good old calisthenics seem to be the most economical, and for many the most boring path to maintaining basic physical fitness. I got tired of running and doing jumping jacks, squat thrusts, push ups and sit ups in boot camp, so for me it has to be something a little more engaging, either involving an apparatus or maybe a sport. Now that I am getting older, and because of my size, I am finding that my body won't take as much abuse as it used to, and some old injuries are making themselves known in new ways, so I look for less of the full contact stuff, and more of the low impact stuff. For strength/resistance training, I have a bowflex, which I think is about as good a machine as you can get. For cardiovascular, I've been using various elliptical machines. Ellipticals seem to be the most efficient whole body cardio exercise I can find. I don't care for swimming much, and don't own an indoor pool, but an elliptical is a great way to burn 500 Kcal in half an hour while reading, listening or watching the news, sports, or a tv show. I also find it far easier to regulate/modify my routine on one, and it is easier on my back and knees than a treadmill or a bike.

Hiking and hunting are both great ways to get exercise, except that I can't do either one regular enough. Walking around the neighborhood is a bit problematic due to weather, dogs, traffic, and the lack of facilities should certain needs arise en route.

I suppose if I were an athlete for a living, like my two daughters are now, then I would be more proactive about getting exercise. With my habits, it becomes more and more a necessary evil, much like my honeydoo list. What's worse is this living in a hotel eating out all the time for the past few months. That will ruin your health quick if you aren't careful.

Right now, I would say my exercise investment is running about $2,000. Mostly it is for convenience, as I don't like going to gyms much either.

I guess I am a bit particular, or picky, about how I stay in shape. Good thing for me I can afford to be. There was a time when exercise was a moot point, as I was walking 5+ miles a day just to get to work, and my job had me lifting and flexing and stretching and climbing... Now I sit behind a desk for 8 hours and on a train for another two every weekday.