I think I posted on this topic before, but I couldn't find it.

I'm beginning to think freeze-dried food definitely has a place in my long-term food storage. I don't mean individual Mountain House meals. ($$$$) They have their place, for camping and in the BOB, but I'm talking about #10 cans of freeze dried foods - fruits, veggies, etc, for sheltering in place for long periods.

I bought the book "Just in Case," by Kathy Harrison, after someone here linked to it. I found it to be basic, but very helpful for planning long-term. She spoke about heavily relying on stores of freeze-dried food, and using it regularly so her family was used to eating it. I decided to try it, (starting with breakfast) and bought some milk, dried strawberries, and a pineapple-pear mix. They were surprisingly good in either cereal or granola! The cans are bulky, but very light. Some internet research reassured me that freeze-dried retains it's nutritional value- perhaps better than canned - and serving for serving it is definitly less expensive. One #10 can easily equals a flat or even a case of the same food frozen or in cans. Storage is also much easier than frozen or canned. Just have plenty of water on hand, but that's a given anyway.

I'm going to try some veggies next, but I think this is something I will continue to buy, and use regularly.