We're pretty prepared for a most things. Our biggest threats, historically, are a peanut allergy reaction, job loss, car accident, or other medical emergency.

We should be more prepared for a house fire. My extinguishers are old, but still have good pressure and the powder sounds nice and loose. The kids know what to do in a fire but we don't drill them. I work hard to reduce fire threats around the house.

We're less prepared than we could be for a hurricane but our house is in an excellent location and has survived undamaged when others in the neighborhood lost shingles and had tree collapses. It would take an incredible storm surge to even get our carpet wet. We keep enough food and water for a week, important documents and a few hundred bucks of cash are in waterproof bags in a fire safe, and have plenty of flashlights, knives, tarps, tents, etc.

After a pandemic flu exercise, I did add some new supplies just for flu: hand sanitizer and alcohol, gloves and N95 masks, Gatorade mix and Immodium AD. I figure we'd ride it out at home and stay as isolated as possible. Anyone that does get sick mostly needs to stay hydrated and rest and wait it out.

I really don't make any specific preparations for most other natural or man-made hazards. Hurricane prep pretty much covers most of those for us. We can pretty much sit in our house for a week without outside power or water. In 30 minutes we can load up the car and be on the road to go stay with friends or family almost anywhere in the U.S.

I don't plan for the really catastrophic societal collapse anymore. I understand people that have 5 years of nitro-packed food and seeds, but I'm just not spending time worrying about that anymore.