Like I'd said in the recent post, I'm REALLY getting into using cast iron.

I've used my Lodge 12" deep camp dutch oven for a number of years. Some number of years ago I bought a 13.5" skillet, but didn't use it all that much.

Recently, since my wife had some minor surgery and I had to do a lot more of the cooking, out came the cast iron skillet and its gotten a lot more use.

I found the 13.5" skillet kinda big & heavy for many uses, so recently I've purchased the 10.25" skillet, the 12" skillet, the non-camp dutch oven sized so its lid fits the 10.25" skillet (5 quart?), and then a lid for the 12" skillet (for simmering foods). The lid for the 13.5" skillet is too expensive for right now.

Except for the dutch oven, the 10.5" and 12" skillets were only $11 and $17 respectively, and Amazon.com provided free shipping with the order over $25 - that's partially why I got the 12" lid. I think I like the 12" skillet best overall. If you were to get just one I'd recommend the 12" one. As you can tell, I'm really getting into the cast iron thing. Boys & their toys.

Anyway, I've done a bunch of reading on use of plastic vs metal spatulas (burger & pancake turners) on cast iron skillets, and have come to the conculsion that it is OK to use a metal spatula with rounded corners with the skillets - so long as I'm not overly aggressie with scraping the bottoms. From what I've read, the metal spatulas might actually help keep the seasoned surface smoother and even less sticky.

After all, Grandma didn't use a plastic spatula!

So after a few weeks of of using the metal spatula on the skillets I'm happy to report that they don't look any worse for the wear ... and I'm no longer melting plastic spatula edges.

Ken