Originally Posted By: kirbysdl
Some questions along the lines of "If you had to choose just one..."

Aleve Vs Advil: Apparently Aleve is generally preferable as it does the same thing and has a longer duration of effect. Any reason to carry both or prefer Advil?
Zantac vs Prilosec: Prilosec is the new hotness. Are there serious side effects or interactions that would point towards Zantac being better for EDC?
Dramamine vs Bonine: Bonine does what you want but with less drowsiness. When is Dramamine preferable?
Pepto-Bismol: Fluid vs chewable tablts vs swallowed caplets: The best-tasting one is probably the caplet... how much slower/less effective is it compared to the other types?

Without any arguments to the contrary Aleve, Prilosec, Bonine, and Pepto caplets sound like the way to go.

Here's a distillation of what I've learned recently. Please let me know if I'm off base:

Tylenol (acetaminophen) 350mg or 500mg tablet: Safe-ish pain relief for kids, nicer to the stomach, good for fevers and headaches
Aspirin (ASA) 81mg chewable: General pain relief (usually 320-500mg ... take 4-6 chewables?) and aid for heart attacks. Do they have larger doses in chewable form?
Aleve (naproxen)/Advil (ibuprofen): Good for aches and pains (musculoskeletal)

Generic Caffeine (Caffeine) 100mg: Pop a few to stay awake, or take 1/2 to 1 along with the above for extra help against headaches. Lower dosage is intended to help with this second use while avoiding jitters
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) ?mg: Speaking of sleep, use this to get it. Also great for acute allergies (bee stings etc.) and can be good against seasonal allergies (but makes you sleepy)
Alavert (loratadine)/Zyrtec (cetirizine): Not really an EDC/emergency thing, but while we're on the subject they're apparently good against seasonal/pet allergies

Imodium (loperamide): The king against diarrhea
Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate)/Bonine (Meclizine): Anti-motion sickness
Zantac (Ranitidine)/Prilosec (Omeprazole): heavy duty antacid
Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth subsalicylate): Anti anything else that makes your tummy upset. Are swallowed caplets a decent alternative to the chalky chewables?

There we go: 10 OTCs to almost rule them all. Any suggestions? Where two are listed, which would you choose? Thanks!

Tylenol - works more on the nervous system than musculoskeletal system, hence "pain/fever relief" without the anti-inflammatory effects of Aleve/Advil/Aspirin. However, max dosage is 4000mg daily. So, for those of you taking Norco or Vicoden, watch the acetominophen content in those as well, as it adds up!

Aleve/Advil - whichever. Personally, Aleve didn't work for me. Watch out for stomach ulcers if you use it too much. 24 hour coverage versus 4-6 hour. BTW, works for pain and fever just like tylenol. Theoretically, Advil could be used in a pinch for heart trouble (in lieu of Aspirin), but you'd have to repeat the dose.

Aspirin - same as Advil, but better cardiac effects. standard dose is 325 mg (that's 4 baby Aspirins).

Benadryl - generation 1 antihistamine. More sedative effects than a Gen. 2, like Claritin or Zyrtec. Theoretically you could use any of the 3 to treat allergies. Benadryl used cuz it sedates the patients (a sleeping patient is an easy patient!)

Caffeine- sure, helps with headaches, just like Excedrin. Or just drink a cup of coffee - roughly 100mg caffeine, depending how strong you like it.

Pepto/Zantac/prilosec- different methods of working, all antacids though. I would assume Pepto works fastest while the other 2 are better for "chronic" indigestion - the aluminum in Pepto can cause problems long term.

That's off the top of my head. Any other healthcare providers, correct me if I'm mistaken!