I wear leather boots every day on the job and only wear one pair of wool-blend socks, even on days off I wear these same socks in my shoes. I do use quality footwear with aftermarket fitted orthotics also. I do not normally hike long distances in this combo, just normal in/out of the truck/boat/ATV, maybe a mile of walking at the most.

Most of my socks are the same make/type and only a couple of colours, it makes laundry matching easier. As the wool socks get thin I use them in the summer and save the newer thicker ones for the cold weather seasons.

If I know I will be hiking greater distances I wear 2 pair of socks, a thin moisture-wicking inner layer under a thicker wool sock.

If it is really cold (late fall deer hunting, ice fishing or snowmobiling) I use the same inner sock but increase the thickness of the wool outer sock and then put on felt-lined pac-type boots.

About 60 years ago my Grandfather established a knitting mill in the small town where I grew-up in Southern Ontario. He and later my uncle, produced a line of wool work socks that I have worn all my life (I am wearing them right now). You always knew what one of your gifts at Christmas was going to be! The mill closed down about 10 years ago and I think in about 5 years my supply of hoarded socks will be depleated; I will actually have to BUY wool socks for the first time!

Mike