For a contrary POV:

I've been an avid backpacker for 35 years, mostly mountains, some desert, swampy areas, etc. I did the thin, wicking liner socks under thick wool socks thing for many years. It worked well. However, for the last 10+ years, I've simply worn single layer, modern, purpose-designed hiking socks from sources like Smartwool and Thorlo, and they have been equally effective at blister prevention and comfort.

In my judgment, the factors most important for blister prevention are, in order:
Boot fit, lacing adjustment, and break-in,
High quality, often after-market, insoles,
Immediate attention to any hot spots before blisters form, and
proper sock selection.

Another advantage of modern socks is that they are quick to dry. This means that they can be washed and rinsed of salt sweat and grime, and left to and dry overnight. I carry 3 pairs - one on my feet, one drying spare pair, and one clean pair for the next morning, which I sometimes wear in my sleeping bag the night before. Clean socks are more comfortable, wick moisture better, and are generally more comfortable.

I wear clean socks every day and wash my feet every night. I adjust my boot lacing for the terrain. One other thing I always do is wear gaiters to seal out dirt and debris from falling into my boots and causing discomfort. I always wear simple, low ankle gaiters in an uncoated breathable fabric , unless high and water-resistant gaiters are called for.

Hope that helps.

Jeff