Originally Posted By: benjammin
the smaller packaged bivy seems to be higher rated for keeping you warm. That seems counter-intuitive to me. Even if it isn't as I perceive it to be, I still prefer the smaller packaged bag for packing convenience.

I thought the same thing until I used one of the Heatsheets blankets in the Sierras. I ended up making a bivvy of sorts by taping the edges of it with duct tape. It keeps more of the heat inside. (Of course it keeps more moisture too, but at least I was somewhat warm)

Those yellow whistles look a lot like the Fox Micro 40 ones I own.

they are

I have yet to try out the heatsheet material in cold climate. I would like to see how effective the thinner bag really is.

What I ended up using was a combination of a Thermo Lite and a Heatsheets. I climbed inside a Thermo Lite and then wrapped Heatsheets blanket (now a bivvy) over it. Temperatures at night dropped to about 40. I was wearing socks, pants, t-shirt, light fleece and rain shell, while sleeping inside a tent. I was relatively warm, but would get chilled if there was even the slightest wind.

Overall, I would recommend this, or similar set up, only when temperature stays above 50. Anything below makes things uncomfortable. (Then again, I do tend to get cold rather easily smile )