Originally Posted By: Arney

It saddens me a little to think about how much Beijing, in particular, has changed in just the past 5 years in preparation for the Olympics. I have heard that all the old neighborhoods (the Chinese word escapes me at the moment) were all bulldozed before the Olympics. And many old storefronts had fake facades put up in front of them during the Games so foreigners wouldn't see them and think that everything in Beijing is brand new.

You bring up a good point. With the Olympics, everything in Beijing has gone through a complete makeover. I've been going there regularly for a few years, but even in that timespan the city has changed dramatically. Many of the old Hutongs have been destroyed to make way for new buildings, and the ones that are left have turned into a tourist attraction. In some places it's almost like going to Disneyland, everything starts to look like a set because they're brand new buildings built to look like the old ones they demolished. I feel very fortunate to have seen some of the original settings, but kinda sad because it's like watching a species become extinct.

Edited by ducktapeguy (10/20/08 04:57 PM)