Having traveled in China many times and being married to a Chinese woman, perhaps I can offer up some advice. The China of today is nothing like the China of ten years ago. The major cities are similar to any modern city of the world. You probably will come back to the USA and think how behind the times we are technologically-speaking. If you travel into the countryside or to small villages of southern China, conditions are improving, but fortunately much of the old China remains to be enjoyed and explored.

First off, the Chinese people (especially outside the big cities) are kind, patient and curious toward Americans. “Pure in heart” may be the best way to describe the average Chinese person. If you go far enough off the beaten track, it is likely you will be the first American they have ever seen! Above all else, learn a few words of Chinese. These phrases will take you a long way:

Hello, Goodbye, Thank you, How much (is it)?, I want., No want., (Just)looking. (A phrase that will get you out of many potentially awkward situations.) If you get stuck, find a teenager. English is taught at most schools and children love to practice speaking with a real live American.

There is no need to haul water to China or water purifiers. Safe, bottled water is sold everywhere for next to nothing and your favorite soft drink can always be found. Yes, sometimes the water in hotel bathrooms is not potable, but this has never posed a problem.

Have no concerns of eating at restaurants. A quick peek in the window and exercising some common sense will tell you if your health may be at risk by dining there. I have never once gotten food poisoning in China. However, do avoid street vendors selling fast food. Finding breakfast you're familiar with is difficult. In China, stock up your hotel room with snack bars and locally grown fruit for breakfast.

Pack a good first aid kit in your suitcase containing the basic supplies, including an assortment of OTC drugs. I have yet to find the equivalent of a drugstore or pharmacy in China.

What to carry in your pockets? This is all you will need:

A cheat sheet with key Chinese phrases on it written in English and Chinese characters. A Leatherman micra is always handy. Photocopies of your passport (leave original in hotel safe.) The business card from your hotel’s front desk. Present it to a taxi driver and he immediately knows where you want to go. Lastly, a good map of the area is essential.

Good luck and don’t worry! Traveling in China is fun, safe and a great adventure.