Originally Posted By: Onedzguy
This looks like Hoomaluhia park. It looks like windward sprinkle and showers for the next couple of days. Ready to test the rain gear?

Good eye Onedzguy. This is Kahua Kuou in Ho`omaluhia.

We camp at Ho`omaluhia about once a month and over the past several years, maybe once or twice we didn't get rain. Thanks for the warning though, but we are pretty used to it...even the moms and kids. This is our first time at Kahua Kuou though and it is pretty big. The kids are going to have a blast!

We usually set up a large canopied area for group gatherings and for everyone to duck under when the rain inevitably comes. Then we still have more of a community versus everyone ducking into there own tents. Sometimes the rain is pretty darn heavy with some strong winds too. We keep our food and cooking stuff under the canopy so the weather doesn't stop us from the all important eating, drinking (non-alchohol), and being merry.

I have practiced making fire in the rain there too and found that having a base is very important, then I teepee the larger firewood over the base, then build my tinder bundle and pile kindling on the tinder under the firewood. The firewood works kind of like an umbrella to keep the other stuff dry and alights even though it is raining. When it's really wet, I'll stick some fatwood in with the kindling. That really helps.