Well, it's more Topanga (not Tujunga) and Malibu that have fires with such regularity (and then complain when they can't get fire insurance for their multi-million dollar homes and want taxpayer financed insurance), but yes, fires are an annual problem in any foothill community in Southern California.

If you own your own place, you can clear vegetation, cultivate fire-resistant landscaping, and "fire proof" your dwelling by various means (enclosed eaves, covered vents, fire resistant roofing, etc), but for those of us who are apartment dwellers, there's not much we can do but be prepared to bug out.

My "A" list is important papers and my BOB.
My "B" list is photos and computer.
My "C" list is other memorabilia, favorite gear, clothes, etc.

When the "Santa Ana" (originally called the "Satana" winds by the early Spanish settlers who associated the hot dry winds with the Devil) blow around here and things start to burn, there's not much one can do but pray that the winds die down. While the winds are blowing, no fires get actually put out; the FD just tries to do damage control and structure protection until the winds die down. It's a "fun" (ha, ha) annual ritual: life in the blacksmith's bellows.

Some have hurricanes, others tornadoes, still others ice and snow. Here, we have fire storms and the occasional "region buster" (if you thought Katrina's damage was wide-spread, just wait for an 8 pointer quake in a populated area) quake. Be it ever so vulnerable, there's no place like home.

HJ