Great topic. It's essentially a question of "should my PLB be a first-line item?".

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
...fanny pack

Jim, I'm using a small waist pack for 1st-line items. I find it more secure and convenient than having stuff falling out of my pants pockets, which is surprisingly possible if you take a tumble. It is easy to wear in the front in conjunction with a pack's waistbelt. It's always there if you ditch the backpack. With the various Fastex-type buckles out on the market today, you can rig it so that the closure is threaded-only or quick release.

I'm using the EmDomUSA waist pack because it is just the right size for use with a backpack and has small design details that I appreciate (especially the internal 550 cord tieoff loops). It is made with 1000 denier Cordura, #10 YKK zips and double-sewn & bound seams. It was specifically designed to be worn in front & not get in the way while rucking, climbing or kneeling. It has many mounting options if you want to attach it to a larger pack, though of course that defeats the 1st-line philosophy.

Here is a review that includes more pics.