Personally, I think it is hard to go wrong with the Ka-Bar MkII or one of the better clones. If I could, I'd carry one rather than a pocket knife. But a survival knife is, to drag out an old line, is the one you have with you when it all goes south.

For a bigger blade, there are lot of nice ones out there. I guess the question should be is this going to be a large utility blade that will replace the Ka-Bar in your inventory, or something carried with the Ka-Bar?

If carried with, a 12" machete or a kukri are inexpensive but if you give them some TLC with a stone you can make them shine. And at that point, you might also look at hatchet (smaller than a camp axe), just because a hatchet is a better hatchet than a machete is. The Gerber hatchet weighs about 20oz, while a Trailmaster runs about 18oz if google is right.

If replacing, there are a LOT of options out there. The Ontario/RAT RTAK is well thought of, as are the 9.5-10" offerings of Scrap Yard and Mad Dog, along with Ranger Knives. Just remember that it isn't a machete or a hatchet, and in many cases it might be too big. I'd never carry just the one big blade- you do have a multitool or swiss army with you, right?

And since everyone else has shown you theirs, and I didn't:
EDC: Vic Climber, LM Supertool, LM Micra, LM Squirt E4, and a good pair of wire cutters.
Off the blacktop, I add a Ka-Bar, a clone, or one of a couple of older 5-5.5" fixed blades. At times, I'll a bow or folding saw, and/or a 12" or 18" machete, and/or a small hatchet.

Edited by ironraven (10/11/08 11:01 PM)
Edit Reason: didn't list mine

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.